"The ICS 3.0 was driven by feedback from teachers, administrators and parents seeking to provide students with a robust, yet focused, Internet-enriched curriculum. The new version of the ICS promotes ready access to a wealth of instructional resources within a safe, yet flexible, environment that empowers administrators and teachers to exercise discretion over what content is relevant to the curriculum or that day's lesson plan," said Peter Cirasole, BASCOM President. "While the term digital divide is usually used to describe the technology haves and have-nots, it is also an apt way to characterize the gulf that often exists between tech-savvy students and their teachers. The new version of the ICS was designed to bridge this gap, making it easier than ever before to integrate the Internet into the classroom, adding excitement and new depths to teaching and learning."
Learning Zones: Online resources are grouped in four distinct zones, providing teachers with increased flexibility and choice over Internet usage:
- Lesson Zone: Routes students to resources made available by individual teachers for particular lessons.
- School Zone: Gives students access to a premier education community categorized by subject.
- Research Zone: Allows students broader use of the Internet while restricting access to non-productive sites.
- I n ternet Zone: P rovides unrestricted access to the whole Web.
- Profiles: This feature is a natural extension of traditional paper-based lesson plans, enabling teachers to pre-configure a Learning Zone and capture a range of pre-selected resources pertinent to a specific lesson plan. Teachers can create hundreds of Profiles as a way to "renew" existing lesson plans with dynamic Web resources.
- Automatic Start Page: When students login to a Profile, the browser can automatically go to a page specified by the teacher. This page automatically provides links to lesson-focused Web resources selected by the classroom teacher-keeping students focused and on-task.
About the Global ChalkboardBASCOM's Global Chalkboard is an innovative and flexible teaching tool that uses the Internet for learning. The Global Chalkboard provides immediate access to educational Web sites and builds Web-enriched lessons mapped to curriculum goals and state standards.
The Global Chalkboard is both flexible and easy to use. It offers a novice user immediate access to educational sites with the Web Library; it offers an intermediate user prepackaged, ready-to-use BASCOM lessons; and it offers an advanced user a method of building their own, web-based lessons using the Global Chalkboard's Lesson Creator.
BASCOM Global Internet Services, Inc. is a software development company specializing in curriculum-based, Internet management solutions for K-12 schools. From our beginning in 1996, BASCOM has focused on producing, next-generation, curriculum tools for the K-12 education market.
BASCOM's goal is to help children become successful learners by safely extracting the educational content of the Web. This is accomplished by building Internet teaching tools based on input we've received from K-12 educators. We are constantly adapting our products to meet the changing needs of today's teachers.
BASCOM is a privately held company located in Hauppauge, New York. For more information, visit www.bascom.com