Library Web Filtering Technology
Patronus provides customized, completely flexible library Web filtering using a number of disparate techniques. These techniques can be applied to various elements of your network in a customized and unique manner, depending on your needs. Assign filtering to individual workstations or ranges of local IP addresses, user names (or other identity elements such as organizational membership or workstation names), or defined groups of workstations or users.
Patronus' library Web filtering technology features:
Dynamic URL Categorization
- Patronus comes loaded with a powerful Web site filter which automatically categorizes and continually updates over 25 million sites in over 96 comprehensive categories. Access to these categories can be permitted or blocked, allowing it to be fine-tuned for each computer.
- Patronus's library Web filtering technology can optionally enforce "Safe Search" levels within popular search engines.
Real Time Proxy Detection
- In addition to categorizing known Internet proxies through our URL category list, Patronus examines suspicious-looking URLs to determine if the network client is attempting to circumvent its filter by use of a proxy.
Safe-Search for Google Images and Search Engine Cache
- Patronus can also apply Web content filtering policies to Google's image search by examining the destination of the image thumbnails, further protecting users from inappropriate content that is otherwise difficult for traditional Web filters to detect.
File & Extension Blocking
- Patronus also permits selective blocking of specific files and file types. This provides control over the type of content clients can download. System Administrators can also set exception rules to allow specific files or file type downloads only from specific sites.
Select Viewing of YouTube Videos
- The robust Patronus Video Selector™ feature enables librarians to safely allow a specific YouTube video or channel and its related page content, while blocking access to other videos.
Instant Messenger Blocking
- Blocks most popular types of instant messenger clients on a profile basis.
Streaming Media Blocking
- Blocks all types of streaming media, while allowing a user to selectively permit focused media content.
Granular Web Site Control
- In addition to URL categorization, Patronus's library Web filtering technology enables the built-in filtering techniques to be overridden by permitting a defined list of allowed or blocked exceptions. The granularity of this can be as wide as an entire domain name, or as narrow as a specific page.
Block HTTPS Traffic
- Blocks access to specific types of sites.
Flexible User Discretion
- The System Administrator is responsible for setting the default filter settings defined by the Acceptable Use Policies for your library, and for setting the authority level (or discretion) that a librarian has over making changes to those defaults. When a System Administrator creates User Accounts, authority for each filter category is defined for each user. This flexible discretion permits a user to allow certain sites from within a filter category that may be blocked for the rest of the library. The permitted librarian may also unblock an entire filter category when it is appropriate.
Learn More About our Library Internet Filtering Technology
The library Web filtering technology behind Patronus gives librarians the tools they need to set the appropriate amount of Internet access for their patrons. To learn more, read about its flexible filter management, Access Zones and Kids Zone Portal. To schedule your personal demo, fill out a contact form or call us today at 1-888-922-2726.